Join our grassroots advocacy team!
VARD is a nonprofit organization based in beautiful Teton Valley, Idaho. Founded in 2001, our mission is to advocate for the preservation of natural resources, protection of rural character, and the promotion of vibrant communities in Teton Valley. VARD is a small organization, but a national leader in sustainable and restorative land use planning. The Program and Development Associate (the “Associate”) will have two critical functions: 1) he or she will be the principal financial development advocate working to increase and maintain the donor base and to identify grant opportunities from both private and governmental organizations and foundations; 2) he or she will work with and support the Executive Director and Program Director in carrying out the mission of VARD. The ability to work with a multi-disciplinary staff and to multi-task to meet the needs of the organization is critical. The successful candidate will possess a background in law, land use planning, real estate, public administration, environmental studies, communications or, ideally, a combination thereof. The Associate will report to the Executive Director.
- Manage donor database
- Maintain donor relations
- Assist team with fundraising and marketing events and campaigns
- Research grant opportunities and assist team with grant applications
- Lead implementation of strategic development plan
- Research issues in collaboration with Executive and Program Director
- Collaborate with team on issue positioning
- Attend public meetings, report on key decisions/actions, and provide public comment
- Assist team with collaborative community projects and educational forums
- Stay abreast of planning, environmental, economic development, and government issues in Teton Valley and the surrounding region
- Lead in writing and compiling print, email, and social media messaging
- Produce VARD’s podcast series
- Market VARD’s Planning and Legal Advisory service in collaboration with the Executive Director and Program Director
Education and experience requirements include:
- A Bachelor’s degree in land use planning, public administration, economics, environmental studies, communications, marketing, or similar field is required
- A J.D. or Masters in land use planning, public administration, economics, environmental studies, communications, marketing, or similar field is preferred
- 1-3 years nonprofit fundraising experience
- Exemplary education, experience, or demonstrable skills may be substituted for educational and/or experience requirements
- Strong relationship building, public relations and solicitation skills.
- A sense of humor in stressful situations
VARD offers a fun, flexible work environment where recreation and socializing is encouraged. The Associate is a full-time, salaried, non-benefit position with paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave.
The position closes April 4, 2018.
Interview candidates will be selected by April 6, and interviews will be held in-person on April 19 and 20, 2018.
For questions, please contact Shawn Hill at (307) 413-4514 or email@example.com.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter with salary requirement, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.