Tracking: Huntsman Springs Resort Hotel
(Page updated March 2, 2015)
HERE is a link to the 171 written public comments submitted as of Feb 3, 2015.
VARD’s comment letters submitted during Round 2 to date:
- February 3, 2015 Request for Recusal and Continuation of the City Council hearing until our January 16, 2015 public records request is fulfilled.
- Dec 26, 2014 letter to the Driggs City Council asking them to uphold the Planning & Zoning Commission’s recommendations.
- Nov 19, 2014 Public Survey results on the re-do of the approvals process for the Huntsman Springs Resort Hotel.
- December 4, 2014 Regional Resort Retail Statistics.
- December 9, 2014 Comments on alternatives to the Huntsman retail plaza.
What Happens Next?
- The City’s approvals process is now done; there will be no future hearings. As reported in the Teton Valley News, the developer can file for a building permit and begin construction immediately. Big-D Construction from Salt Lake City has been hired, and the resort is still scheduled to operational by next summer on July 4, 2016.
Summary of Previous Hearings:
- Tuesday, Feb 3, 2015: The Driggs City Council held an evening hearing at Driggs City Hall to finalize their decision to overrule the Dec 11th recommendations made by the Driggs Planning & Zoning Commission to limit the net square footage in the commercial plaza to 4,000 square feet. The City Council is granted the developer Panorama International’s original request of 10,000SF of retail plus an additional 1,000SF in the excursion center and pro shop, as well as 5 bars and restaurants. Panorama will be granted 6,000GFA of retail space now, and in three years they become eligible for the remaining 4,000GFA subject to a few conditions. However, in the future, Panorama can also apply to have the City waive those conditions. In other details, the City has recently taken a surprising approach to the large volume of public comment submitted throughout this process, and Driggs P&Z Commissioner Larry Young has now been threatened with a defamation lawsuit for his critical words and concerns on this resort proposal. Mr. Young issued this public response to the Driggs Mayor’s private request that he retract his words or be removed from P&Z.
- Tuesday, January 6, 2015: The Driggs City Council voted to overrule the Dec 11th recommendations made by the Driggs Planning & Zoning Commission to limit the net square footage in the commercial plaza to 4,000square feet in order to protect downtown businesses. This will now be finalized at the next hearing on Feb 3, 2015.
- December 11, 2014: Driggs Planning & Zoning Commission recommends approval of the resort with a 4,000 square foot limitation of retail sales space within the commercial plaza to protect downtown businesses.
- December 2, 2014: Driggs City Council approves the annexation of the resort property.
- November 20, 2014: Driggs Planning & Zoning Commission considers the resort proposal and tables making a decision until Dec 11th because (1) they want more time to consider all of the public comment received and (2) they want to more carefully study the commercial plaza proposed at the resort.
Click here to learn a about Round 1 of the approvals process for the Huntsman Resort Hotel.