May 19, 2017
Teton County Board of County Commissioners
150 Courthouse Drive
Driggs, Idaho 83422
Re: Bates Cabin Renovation
Thank you for the opportunity to submit a proposal for the Bates Cabin at the proposed Bates Bridge Access parcel. Unfortunately, we have found that we cannot afford to renovate the structure as a low-impact institutional or residential use. After our site inspection with Love | Schack Architecture on May 17, 2017, we determined the following:
- Converting the building into an institutional use (e.g. an education center, community meeting room, indoor/outdoor meeting space) will be a challenge. This would require creating many new openings in the log walls, which we believe would compromise the structural integrity of the cabin.
- As a residential use, the cabin appears only to have rudimentary heating and no insulation. In order to make it suitable for occupancy, we believe the following improvements would be required:
- Furring out walls and ceilings with insulation and drywall: $20k.
- New egress window in bedroom: $1k
- Shield behind wood-burning stove: $100
- Heating units in bedroom and bathroom: $2k
- New kitchen appliances: $1k
- New carpet or flooring: $1k
All in all, it appears that the structure will require approximately $25k in renovations to make it suitable for long-term use. We also understand there are other code requirements identified by Building Official Tom Davis that also need to be rectified. These building renovations are a cost Valley Advocates cannot bear at this time, and we have found that the best use for the cabin is to be relocated and salvaged for use off-site.
We thank you again for the opportunity to explore reuse of the structure, and regret we cannot put forth a proposal.
Shawn W. Hill